IUPUI Handouts and Publications
- Teaching Appreciation for Differences via Intergroup Dialogue, by Carolyn Gentle-Genitty, Corinne Renguette, and Dan Griffth. International Association for Social Work with Groups (IASWG) Proceedings, NYC, 2017.
- Supporting School Strategic Diversity Planning Efforts with the IGD Unit Engagement Model: The Office of Intercultural Literacy, Capacity and Engagement will support the diversity strategic planning efforts of IUPUI Schools through facilitating dialogue processes for school diversity planning committees, using the IGD Unit Engagement Model. This model is intended to help school diversity planning committee members deepen their conversations and therefore their goal setting to support more diverse and inclusive policies and practices within their schools.
- Supporting Faculty efforts to implement IGD with the IGD Hot Topic Faculty Guide: The IGD Community of Practice created a response guide for faculty members who are working with IGD to help create a safe space for students to grapple with real-world discrepencies while building relationships through dialogue.
Overview of Intergroup Dialogue
The following articles provide a general overview of intergroup dialogue:
- Dessel, A., & Rogge, M. (2008). Evaluation of intergroup dialogue: A review of the empirical Literature. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 26 (2), 199-238. [PDF]
- Dessel, A., Rogge, M., & Garlington, S. (2006). Using Intergroup Dialogue to Promote Social Justice and Change. Social Work, 51 (4), 303-315. [PDF]
- Nagda, B.A., Gurin, P., Sorensen, N., & Zúñiga, X. (2009). Evaluating intergroup dialogue: Engaging diversity for personal and social responsibility. Diversity & Democracy, 12 (1), 4-6. [PDF]
- Sorensen, N., Nagda, B., Gurin, P., & Maxwell, K. (2009). Taking a "Hands On" approach to diversity in higher education: A critical-dialogic model for effective intergroup interaction. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 9 (1), 3-35. [PDF]
- Zúñiga, X., Bridging Differences through Dialogue. (2003). About Campus (January-February) 8-13. [PDF]
- Comprehensive list of publications and research from University of Michigan Program on Intergroup Relations
- Diversity & Democracy, publication of the Association of American Colleges & Universities
- Equity & Excellence in Education, Journal of the University of Massachusetts College of Education
- Equity & Excellence in Education, Volume 45, Issue 1, 2012 (Special Issue: Intergroup Dialogue: Engaging Difference, Social Identities, and Social Justice)
Publications on Intergroup Dialogue and Social Justice Education
- Deconstructing Privilege: Teaching and Learning as Allies in the Classroom Edited by Kim A. Case
- Dialogue Across Difference: Practice, Theory, and Research on Intergroup Dialogue by Patricia Gurin, Biren (Ratnesh) A. Nagda, and Ximena Zúñiga
- Facilitating Intergroup Dialogue: Bridging Differences, Catalyzing Change Edited by Kelly E. Maxwell, Biren (Ratnesh) A. Nagda, and Monita C. Thompson
- Faculty Identities and the Challenge of Diversity Edited by Mark A. Chesler and Alford A. Young, Jr.
- Intergroup Dialogue: Engaging Difference, Social Identities and Social Justice Edited by Ximena Zúñiga, Gretchen Lopez, Kristie A. Ford
- Intergroup Dialogue in Higher Education: Meaningful Learning About Higher Education By Ximena Zúñiga, Biren (Ratnesh) A. Nagda, Mark Chesler, and Adena Cytron-Walker
- Readings for Diversity and Social Justice (3rd ed.) Edited by Maurianne Adams, Warren Blumenfeld, Carmelita Castaneda, Heather W. Hackman, Madeline L. Peters, and Ximena Zúñiga
- Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice (2nd ed.) Edited by Maurianne Adams, Lee Anne Bell, and Pat Griffin